Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 7 - Emlenton, PA to Pittsbugh, PA - 70ish miles

Today was a great ride because I knew at the end, I would be reaching a resting point.

I started the morning chilling out with Martha, John and their son, Greg - the owners of the Gaslight Campground. We enjoyed coffee and donuts and discussed their campground a bit. They have owned the place for six seasons and explained that the previous owners had let it go into the crapper. They have really turned it around and they said that each season is getting better.

The place was bustling as the camping season is really beginning. Everyone that rolled in was beyond friendly and everyone seemed to know everyone. I'm discovering that campground folks are amongst the friendliest people around. They are all about the outdoors, enjoying the company of others and having a great time.

I hit the road just as the air began to warm up. The sun was shining brightly but there was a bit of a head wind. I turned on some tunes and cruised excited to visit Pittsburgh for the first time and to see my friend, Courtenay, who put me up for my two nights in the city.

The ride was mostly downhill with a few short climbs and after a couple of hours I hit Butler, PA where I consumed yet another mass amount of food. I just can't seem to get enough. After eating and 3.5 hours I cruised into the northeastern outskirts of Pittsburgh where Courtenay lives. Many of those back-roads are awesome. The trees create a canopy that hangs over smooth pavement where I cruised freely due to the minimal amount of autos. Everything is built into hills and on hill-sides in this town. So, it's a bunch of climbs and descents no matter where you go. No flats.

I met Courtenay while sitting in some cool grass in her neighborhood. She showed me the way to her place where I unpacked and we caught up. We had a great night during which I met some of her local Pittsburgh pals. We stayed out late, and I could barely keep my eyes open, but it was comforting to know that I didn't have to get up early and bike and I could just sleep in.

Oh, something I did find in the local liquor store that night was Dale's Pale Ale. Probably one of my favorite beers from my favorite brewery, Oskar Blues - brewed right in Lyons, CO.

No comments:

Post a Comment